The sales head of our
company sat next to me in the cafeteria during lunch break. “Nitin, we need
your help. We need a training program for our frontline sales force”. A
business head asking for assistance from the training function! A new experience…
I forgot my lunch and perked up. “What kind of training?” “I don’t know”, he
replied. “Anything… team building, customer service, leadership, it doesn’t
matter. But it should not be for more than 2-3 hours.” I was perplexed. “What
is the training need?” I asked. This got him upset. “Isn’t it your
responsibility to provide development for the employees of this company?” he
asked crossly. “Yes, but I need to know
what is it that I am supposed to develop.” “You figure that out. But we need a
training program. Please let me know by tomorrow what you are going to do.”
I was really confused. I
figure it out? How am I going to do that? It was his team. He would know best
about the development needs of his team. And what was his team size? And three
hours??!! I spent rest of the day mulling over the issue and finally before
leaving for home, I went back to the Sales Head. “Look”, I said. “I have been
wrestling with this issue for better part of the day and I cannot figure out
what needs to be done. So please help me out”.
He was silent for a few
moments then as if enlightenment had dawned upon him, he smiled. “Oh! I forgot
you are new to this function. Ok, then let me explain. My sales team has been
working hard to meet the targets for last quarter. I want to give them a break.
I want to take them outstation for a night so they can party. But you know how
the budget constraints are. No one will approve the expenses. But if I can call
it a training workshop, then I will get the approval. But I don’t want too much
work. That’s why I don’t want it to be for more than 2-3 hours. Make them play
a few games. Give them a little gyan… They can have fun for rest of the time”.
I should have been furious
with this. But I was not. I was amused. A little upset perhaps, but more
amused. So this is the role that the Training function has to play. The role of
an entertainer, or rather enter-trainer. But I was not going to let it happen.
At least not on my watch. So I refused. Very politely. “I am sorry but I will
not be able to help you in this. If you have any development need in your
people, where an intervention will help improve business then let’s talk. But
not for this”.
The word got around. And
people concluded that I am not a “Team Player”. The best part was when in my
annual appraisal, someone mentioned in the peer review section that I needed
development inputs in ‘team work’. Since peer review is anonymous, it is not possible to find who it was. But I am quite sure it was our Sales Head.
Relate to this experience. As a trainer, I have faced this so many times
ReplyDeleteForgot business seeing as 'entertainers', our own training / HR teams see us as one..
ReplyDeleteIn a particularly well reputed organisation that I was a part of, known for receiving atleast a couple of awards every year for training, we had monthly Training Strategy meets where the whole team got together to discuss nothing in particular. This was a large function with trainers from business, process, operations, etc.
On more than one occassion 'Management Development' trainers have been called upon by the Head of Learning to "entertain the audience"....
it would go something like, "bore ho rahe hain / energy bohut kam hai / break chahiye; oye MDP walon koi ice breaker / shaker karao"
I agree with you completely. I believe the major fault lies with us. We have not been able to really demonstrate the value that we can add to the business. I dont think we ourselves are convinced about it. And the business heads perhaps have not seen anything better. So yes for them it is only a cure to boredom or monotony.
Delete