Business
Head (BH): So that concludes our
discussion. I hope you have all the information you need.
Me:
Yes, I think I have all data to work on
the program, but if I need any further information, I will come back to you.BH: Any time! How long will you take to finalize the program?
Me: About a week. We can then finalize dates for the workshop.
BH: Great! And please share your PPT with me once you have finished with it.
Me: PPT? What PPT?
BH: Your presentation for the workshop… Your slides
Me: I don’t have any PPT for the workshop
BH (A little exasperated): How come you don’t have a PPT? And even if you don’t, you will be making one for the workshop, won’t you?
Me: I meant I will not be using any PPT for this workshop
BH: But how can you conduct a workshop without a PPT?
Me: I don’t need a PPT for this workshop. There are no slides that I need to show the participants.
BH: No slides to show? Then how will you standardise your inputs?
Me: If the desired objective in each program is achieved, isn’t that a measure of quality of a training workshop?
BH:
I think you should have a presentation. It will help you get consistency in
your inputs.
It was then that I realised that this was one of those rare opportunities…
Me: Do all the participants think, feel and behave in a similar manner?
BH: Of course not! They are human beings… they are different
Me: Is there consistency in the way they communicate or act?
BH: No…
Me: Then why should there be a consistency in the inputs they receive?
BH: Do you mean to tell me that training cannot be standardised?
Me: You can standardise some training, like a skill training. But here we are talking of personal development. You can’t standardise that. Every participant will have to be dealt with differently
That got him thinking.
BH:
Yeah, I can see that. Skills training like driving… That kind of training will
need to be standardised.
Me:
Correct. But even there I don’t know of anyone who uses a PPT…We did the workshop without any PPT. It went off quite well. And the business head was happy with the results. It’s been eight years since I left that organization. I have heard that now whenever a trainer comes to him with a PPT, he wants to know if it is really necessary.
Too Good, very apt, for as most of the leaders believe training is nothing but summary of their experiences which normally is tried to thurst upon others.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate this, think one and all should read for to know and learn more.... by Sanjeev Bali
Thank you Sanjeev, for your response. Heartening to know that there are others who think the same way. It tells me that I am on the right track.
DeleteThank you once again.
Wow... a success story :) good to hear that...there's hope for us mortals
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
I have always maintained that the responsibility of building credibility for the function rests completely on us. What is important is what we as trainers believe about the function and how we are able to communicate the belief.
DeleteNitin, very true, I attended a workshop by Mr. Ram Charan (management guru) who did not use any PPT. He just took one paper and written five points in it. To my surprise he completed whole day workshop around these five points.
ReplyDeleteNilesh, Thank you foryour comment. Actually it doesnt matter how you conduct a workshop, as long as the message is conveyed effectively. If a PPT helps, then by all means use it. But my point is that it cannot be a 'one size fits all'
DeleteRings a bell with all corporates i feel...no matter what work profile, every point you come across people who feel that unless you make a presentation with a PPT, you may not deliver what's expected of you...or perhaps some are so caught up in getting something substantial and for them a PPT presentation is a substantial product they get in return from you...some of us have been expected to make a slide presentation to explain the "feel" that a film is supposed to deliver...bullet points to explain a feeling ? To go beyond the box one would need to step out of it, i guess...thank you for sharing your experiences so well.
ReplyDeleteI guess we are caught up with the need to experience things which are tangible. The reason may be the nature of the environment in which we operate. Businesses need to have tangibles as indicators of direction, health and wellbeing. It would be but natural for that need to extend to all aspects including feelings.
ReplyDeleteSome trainees feel they need to carry back something; so they look for the ppt as if they are going to refer in another time.
ReplyDeleteThe truth is trainees' find it difficult to be 100% participating a program and leave everything else behind. The phone has to ring for call,message,alarm etc etc..mind is more worried about what to share/do once back.
And when you do a workshop which has no ppt/hand-out -it forces the participant to focus, be attentive and interactive..this causes a disconnect, unfortunately.....
That certainly is a perspective. But then I have a more basic question. If the participants are sitting there because they have been told to do so and not because they feel they could gain something out of it, then why have such workshops... The way I see it, if the participants really see a benefit then there will be absolute focus.
Delete