“I
don’t want managers in my organization, I want leaders”! I had heard this many
times. In fact this was a kind of joke we had laughed about. Only this time I
was not laughing. When the managing director of your company says it, looking
pointedly at you, it is no longer a laughing matter.
I
had joined this company about a year back as head of HR and Training. The
occasion was the six-monthly business review. All the business and functional
heads were attending. In spite of difficult economic and business conditions,
we had managed to achieve 87% of our targets. So the mood was quite upbeat,
although there would be some recriminations from the managing director (Why
only 87%... why not 100%). But that was ok. After all that was his job.
Normally
the HR function had almost no role to play in the review meetings. Unless some
business head wanted to use the function as a scapegoat for non-performance
(They did not give us the right manpower at the right time) or for moral
support (Our competitors are paying better incentives… ask HR, they have
collected the relevant data), my contribution was negligent. But since the
convention was that all business and functional heads should attend, it also fell
on me to be an almost silent spectator in the day-long sessions twice a year.
The
meeting began in the usual fashion. The Finance Head presented his array of
spread sheets giving data about the (non) performance in the last six months,
the business heads started readying their PPTs and arguments and I settled down
to a long and slightly boring day.
But
this time it was not to be the usual manner. After the Finance Head finished
his presentation, the bombshell dropped. The managing director, who, normally
would remain silent throughout the meeting except when asking those
uncomfortable questions suddenly butted in. “I am aware of the economic
conditions and difficulties that we are going through. And I know that all of
you will give this as the main reason for not achieving targets. So let’s not
waste time. What I want to talk about is what can we do different to make sure
we achieve targets in spite of the conditions. I don’t want to go through your
presentations. I want us to discuss this one issue.”
You
could hear a pin drop in the silence that followed. No one was prepared for
this. One of the business managers tried to get the meeting back on track.
“Sir, if we analyse businesswise monthly regional performance, we may be able
to understand what we can do better”. But the managing director cut him short.
“Don’t waste our time. I will tell you where the problem is. Our team heads
behave like managers and not like leaders. We have too many managers in the
company and not enough leaders”. Then looking pointedly at me, “I don’t want
managers in my organization, I want leaders. And Nitin, being the head of
training, it is your responsibility to create leaders in this company. Please
interact with all business heads and come up with a plan. I am also available
for any discussion, if you feel the need.”
With
that he stood up and walked out. The meeting had ended. The rest of us just sat
as if paralysed. After some time, one of the business heads looked at me and
smiled, “Good luck to you”, and walked out. Another one tried to be helpful.
“Perhaps this is a passing fad. Give it some time. Something else will come up
and this will be forgotten”. One by one they all walked out leaving me with my
own confusion.
Managers
to leaders? What did that mean? And what’s wrong with being a manager? Even if
we are, by some miracle, able to convert all managers into leaders, what would
happen then? How would it impact business? And what would they do differently
if we began calling them leaders instead of managers? And just because I
happened to be the training head, how was it my responsibility to convert
managers into leaders? Well actually the answer to this last question was easy
– because the managing director thought so!
I
sat there alone for quite some time. All I was getting was more questions and
confusion. I had to do something. Perhaps the best way was to talk to the
business heads. That might give me some clue.
I
met the first business head. “What do you think is the difference between a
manager and a leader”? I began. “I don’t know. Isn’t it your job to find out”?
I
tried another opening. “What if instead of managers in your team, you had
leaders”? “Why do I want leaders in my team”? He replied. “I am the leader of
my team. The rest have just to do what I tell them to do.”
Another
business head revealed his thoughts. “A leader has to do all the thinking. If
we have too many leaders in a team, it will lead to disaster. Everyone will be
thinking and no one will be doing.”
Yet
another had this nugget, “A leader leads and a manager manages. There can be
only one leader, which in our case is the managing director. The rest of us are
managers”.
It
wasn’t helping. Perhaps the managing director would be able to help. After all
this was his great idea. So I took an appointment and finally met him. I have
tried to pen down the ensuing conversation verbatim:
Me:
Sir, I need to get your perspective about
the difference between manager and leader.
Managing
Director (MD): There are no different
perspectives. Everyone knows the difference between the two
Lame,
but that’s the best I could do at that moment
MD: If a manager is able to do that, then he becomes a leader.
Me: And what is being a manager all about?
MD: It’s about managing. It’s about making sure that things happen as they should and nothing is out of place. It’s about planning and organizing and executing.
Me: Isn’t a leader supposed to do all these things also?
MD: Of course he does, but he also needs to lead his team members
Me: And isn’t a manger, in order to make sure that things happen as they should, supposed to give direction and push his people to do their best?
MD: To an extent, yes…
Me: Sir, then, I still don’t get the difference between the two.
MD (Now a bit exasperated): Well the main difference is that a leader will always achieve his targets while a manager will not!
Me: Aah, I understand now. Then sir, you will be glad to know that nine out of our twenty six managers are already leaders, because they have achieved their targets.
A
long pause, where both of us were just looking at each other.
MD: I have another meeting coming. So we will carry on with our discussion at another time.
Me: Sure sir. Do let me know when you are free so we can conclude our discussion.
I
walked out of the managing director’s office. Something caught my eye on his
secretary’s table. I paused to take a look. It was a brochure for a talk by a
motivational speaker entitled ‘Leaders deliver results, Managers don’t’.
Dangerous
grounds. I could not show my ignorance, and at the same time I needed answers.
Me:
Yes Sir, but your verbalizing will help
me understand it better in our organizational context.
MD:
Well leadership is about leading. It is
about giving direction, about motivating people to give their best, about
achieving results.
Me:
And a manager is not capable of doing
that?MD: If a manager is able to do that, then he becomes a leader.
Me: And what is being a manager all about?
MD: It’s about managing. It’s about making sure that things happen as they should and nothing is out of place. It’s about planning and organizing and executing.
Me: Isn’t a leader supposed to do all these things also?
MD: Of course he does, but he also needs to lead his team members
Me: And isn’t a manger, in order to make sure that things happen as they should, supposed to give direction and push his people to do their best?
MD: To an extent, yes…
Me: Sir, then, I still don’t get the difference between the two.
MD (Now a bit exasperated): Well the main difference is that a leader will always achieve his targets while a manager will not!
Me: Aah, I understand now. Then sir, you will be glad to know that nine out of our twenty six managers are already leaders, because they have achieved their targets.
MD: I have another meeting coming. So we will carry on with our discussion at another time.
Me: Sure sir. Do let me know when you are free so we can conclude our discussion.
The
meeting to conclude our discussion never happened.
Distinction between Manager and leader has been aptly explained. It is high time managers wake up and take note of this.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment. Maybe you could forward the link to this blog to the managers in your organization. Would love to hear what they think about it.
DeleteAmazing! Its almost like you are talking about my company. Its Dilbertish... Keep it coming. Love it
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteMany of the MDs and CEOs of Indian companies have been surviving only because Indian economy has been in its natural growth phase. Lack of original thinking is quite common in these "leaders", many of whom are managers of earlier decades and now self promoted leaders (may be since their managerial techniques are out of sync with the changing times!!)..
ReplyDeleteThat may be true. However in my experience I have seen this confusion in a number of organizations. Suddenly 'manager' becomes a bad word. In one organization, they changed all designations from manager to leader!Not that it had any impact on business performance...
DeleteI always wondered as to who & how do these "motivational speakers" influence??! thnx, now I have a 1st hand example...
ReplyDeletecheers!
- dheerajj sangyam
LOL! Glad to be of assistance...
DeleteHi Nitin,
ReplyDeleteFirstly, this is good anecdote and is giving a view of how our "leaders" are thinking.
I feel in the last 2-3 decades, "leadership" has been sold very effectively and it's a corporate buzz word. Imagine how "management" was a hot thing to do in the 80's and 90's, but now it is moved to "leadership". No more do I see seminars/webinars/internal trainings getting organised for managing things bcos it's considered passe.
Vinit Soni
Hi Vinit, I think it is only a matter of semantics. If you remember the workshops on 'managerial skills' of that period and compare them with the 'leadership' programs of now, there is very little difference in the content. Just the labels have changed.
DeleteThanks for your response!