Imagine
this scene – I am sitting in what could be described as the best Chinese
restaurant in town. Its lunch time and I have been invited by the chairman of
the company I work in. There is great food on the table. But I can’t eat. I
can’t eat because I am stumped by the conversation that is happening. “So what
do you do Nitin?” “Sir, I look after the training function in the company”.
“Oh, then how do you fill up all the free time that you have?”
Let
me rewind a little. It all started when I reached office one Wednesday morning.
My business Head called me to his office. “Nitin, the Chairman has invited you
to have lunch with him.” The Chairman
inviting me for lunch! Recognition for some great work that I had done perhaps…
Even a promotion perhaps!! But these visions were quickly dispelled by the
business head. “This is his way of keeping in touch with the management team.
His office picks a name every month. This month it’s your turn.
Mr.
G, the Chairman was over 70 years of age. He had started the company nearly 50
years ago in a small way and had grown it into a sizeable profit making
organization. I had heard many stories about his down to earth hands on
approach. Although now he had passed the reigns to the next generation, he
still liked to keep in touch with the events in the company.
So
at 1 o’clock sharp I entered the restaurant. Mr. G was already there.
Preliminary introductions over, we ordered food. Of course he did the ordering.
I merely nodded my head to each suggestion. Once that was over, the
conversation started.
“Oh, then how do you fill up all the free time that you have?”
There
must have been a very perplexed look on my face. Free time? What free time? I
rarely managed to leave office before 7.00 p.m. Sometimes I even came to office
on weekends. So what’s he talking about?
“How many people do you have in your team?”
“There are six people in the team, Sir”
He
took out a pen and a small notebook from his pocket and started doing some
calculations.
“With
1200 employees that we have, that accounts for 86 days of work for each one of
you. So what do you do with the balance free time?”
The
way he expressed it, it sounded unreasonably high. I kept quiet. But he didn’t.
The main bombshell was yet to come.
“And
what difference do your training sessions make to the business of the company?”
“I’d like to think that they do make a difference in a positive manner. If we
are able to improve the skills and behaviour of employees, it will certainly
impact the business”, I countered. “What you think is not important. Can you
support your claim with any data?”
“Nitin,
all of us work for a living. And to earn that living, we spend a major amount
of our productive time at workplace. All human beings want growth,
intellectually, emotionally and financially. And since we spend most of our lives at
workplace, it is only natural that maximum opportunities of growth should be at
the workplace. Now you can’t give growth to people. They should want it for
themselves and they should want to put in the effort. Most of us get caught up
in the mundane aspects of our lives. It is your job as the training head to
shift the focus back on growth. This involves changing the way people think
about themselves and their lives. If you are able to do that, you will never
need another training workshop. And if you are able to do that with even one
person in the organization, you will have justified the salary that this
company is paying you.”
I
would love to know what the expression on my face was at that moment. No one
had ever given this perspective about the Training function. So simple and yet
so profound and so obvious. I would have looked quite dumbstruck. I do remember
that I was staring at him. He just smiled back with a twinkle in his eye and
said,
“So
what do you do?”
“Sir
I look after the training function in the company.”“Oh, then how do you fill up all the free time that you have?”
“How
much training could you possibly do in a month?”
“We
try to target 4 man-days of training per employee per annum”“How many people do you have in your team?”
“There are six people in the team, Sir”
What
do I tell him? How do I explain the amount of time that goes in coordinating
with business heads and ensuring that the nominees attend the training
sessions? And that did not include the time spent in building content for the
workshops. I had to try to explain. And
try I did. He cut me short.
“Do
you know that we all work for approximately 220 days in a year. Do you mean to
tell me that you spend 134 days to prepare for 86 days of training? That’s
almost 5 days of preparation for each day of training!”
Here
I would like to point out that while the words were sounding pretty threatening, the
voice was not. It was quite warm, soft and friendly. Like a grandfather talking
to his favourite grandson. That made it all the more ominous. I had no answer
to his question. So I decided to keep silent. The food was quite forgotten by
now.
“Now
finish your noodles. They are getting cold..”
Loved this one. Absolutely true!
ReplyDeleteThis one is awesome...very succinctly explains the importance of the understanding and involvement of the senior most management in any organisation especially in a job function like training...loved it !!
DeleteThis is interesting and thought provoking! Also, it smacks of "I know it all" approach of a typical successful founder/chairman of an INDIAN business!! For some reasons it still appeals to "professional" managers / employees here.
ReplyDeleteArt of Training vs Science of Training?
I would like to think of it as a philosophy of life, more as an approach to fellow human beings. Actually he never even suggested that I follow his way of thinking. In fact that conversation was never mentioned again. Yet it did set me thinking about my and my function's role in an organization.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been received from Mr. Arun Wakhlu, Executive Chairman, Pragati Leadership
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this.
Very well written! And hats off to your Chairman. He has hit the nail on the head.
The hunger for Learning & Growth is what needs to be awakened. This can happen only if people follow their Heart. This is an art that has got buried under BAU, and all the machinations of Leaders who don’t understand Life or Buisness.
Thank you Arunji!
Congratulations Nitin, very well written.Lucky to have a Chairman who did not preach or demand but just left you with an insight..... There is a big learning in there. Probably, this is what we as Learning and development professionals need to work on,create enough insight and reflection opportunity, the growth will follow.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rubina! I would like to think there are more ways than one to bell the cat. The thing is to move from our own comfort zones and then look at alternatives to achieve the development objectives.
ReplyDeleteAwesome learning!
ReplyDeleteAlso a key diff between what MBA teaches you what a promoter mindset teaches you...to summarize what I picked up from your sharing...
What a promoter may like to listen from a training head is not
“Sir I look after the training function in the company.”
but probably -
" Sir, I look after mentoring/coaching employees to stay focused on helping the company make money..more and more money. " ;-)