The
date of 4th September 2006 will always remain etched in my mind.
That was the day we launched Gurukool as a workshop with the first batch of 30
participants.
“Main” khud mein khoya baitha
Suraj ki abhed kiran bhi
Na chu saki mujhe
Khud se mein anjaan
Mein khoya baitha
Par
Ek muskurahat si awaaz
Ek kiran sa mukhda hai
Saamne aa khada
Baarish ki halki puhaar
Mitti ki bhini si mehak
Jagati hai mujh mein ek vishwass
“Hum” bhi ek jaan hain
Hum bhi ek kiran hain
Ab khud se anjaan nahi mein
Ab mein bhi akela nahi
A stranger to the outside
I was lost in myself
Even the piercing rays of the sun
Could not touch me
A stranger to myself
I was lost
But
A voice like a smile
A face like the sun ray
Standing in front of me
Like a drizzle of rain
Like the soft scent of wet soil
Gives me a confidence
‘We’ are also life
‘We’ are also like sun rays
Now no longer a stranger to myself
Now no longer alone
With joy and an unshakable faith in your heart
Stand in the waters of life…
A lot of planning and preparation had preceded the launch. The first hurdle was
getting the participants to attend the workshop. Most of them, aged 19-24 had
never stayed out of their homes. Their parents were a bit apprehensive about
letting their children be away for five whole days. This was especially true for
the girls. Their parents wanted assurance about their safety and security. “I
have never had an experience in any corporate training where participants will
not come because their parents won’t allow them”, rued T1. “I think this is
going to be a frequent occurrence, so we better get used to it”, shot back T3.
The
second challenge was the venue. It had to have enough accommodation to house
the participants as well as the facilitators. Second, it had to have large
enough open spaces for various activities, a room large enough for the
participants to spread out. It had to have adequate security and finally it had
to be reasonably priced to fit into the budget we had been allocated. The
Administration Head threw up his hands in despair when I gave him the
requirements. “You must really hate me to do this. You are asking for a
Mercedes Benz for the price of scooter! This is impossible!”
But
he did the impossible. He had seen a place which was about two and a half hours
drive from the city of Delhi. Three of my team members went to check out the
place. It was perfect. When I went to thank the Admin Head, he smiled. “You
cannot even begin to imagine how I managed to get the place. I never thought I
would be able to do it.” Well, Gurukool had not even started, but it was already
making people do the impossible…
Finally
the day arrived when thirty participants along with three facilitators, T1, T4
and T8 boarded the bus. I was accompanying them as an observer. The idea was
that I would sit through the five days to see how it all went and then suggest
course correction that may be required.
The
journey was quite interesting. We had thirty excited people who had no clue
about what they were going for, except that it was some kind of a training
workshop. For most of them, it was the first time they had ventured out of home
for such a long duration. Then we had three very nervous facilitators who were
either looking at each other or staring into space, and finally there was I.
Calling myself nervous would have been an understatement. Even otherwise,
launching a new training initiative did give rise to a certain degree of
apprehension, but this was crossing all limits. I have heard about how soldiers
feel just before the battle commences. I
can now empathise with them.
The
workshop began that afternoon, with T1 telling the participants that the
program had nothing to do with their work, rather it was all about them.
Immediately there were a few chuckles and some side whispers. Each one of the
participants was looking at T1, and one could sense their cynicism and
disbelief. How could a company not talk about work and business in a training
workshop? Breaking barriers would be
much more difficult than we thought…
Later
that day, T8 asked the participants what their dreams were. Two participants
sprang up. “Why do you want to know about our dreams? Anyway what’s the use? We
live in the real world! There is no place for dreams!” T8 persisted. One person
stood up and said, “My dream is to survive in this world.” For the first time I
saw T8 at a loss for words. Then T1 came to rescue. “If you got the means of
survival, would you still not have any dreams?” The participant thought for a
while and then replied, “Maybe then I would be able to dream about other
things…”
It
took a large part of that day for the three facilitators to get the
participants to talk about their dreams. A couple of them opened up at first.
Then a few more and finally the dam broke. One person had a dream of completing
college. Another wanted to become a dancer, and yet another wanted to open his
own restaurant. Some had dreams about being rich and successful, one wanted to
be a good son to his parents and another wanted to be an artist. These were
people who had dreams like the rest of us but had kept them locked because
their circumstances did not allow them to dwell on them. T8 handed each
participant a huge sheet of paper and colour pencils and asked them to express
their dreams in a visual form. These then went up on the walls where they would
stay as a reference for everything that would be done in the workshop.
At
the end of that session, one of the participants walked up to T8 and said,
“This is the first time someone has asked me about my dreams and this is the
first time I am sharing my dream with someone. Please do not break them…” It
took a lot of effort for T8 not to break into tears.
The
next four days was all about reinforcing the belief that in spite of all their
constraints, their origins and their issues, they had it in them to achieve
their dreams. The day would start at 6.00 a.m. with long walk followed by yoga.
Meals were planned using the same ingredients that they would normally have at
home. Meal time conversations included giving information about nourishment and
how to use the ingredients to make meals wholesome. During the day, it was all
about activities and conversations. We talked about fears, strength of
self-perceptions, possibility-search attitude. In the evening, we would have an
open session called soap box, where the participants could express themselves
in any way they felt like. Some sang songs, others recited poetry. Some talked
about their future plans, and what they were going to do. We watched movies,
staged plays and danced. To an outsider, the entire thing would have seemed
like a total chaos. But there was a method to the madness. To a participant,
who had not experienced anything beyond the daily grind, being able to sing in
front of an audience and being applauded meant something that was
extraordinary. Slowly but surely a change was taking place. The participants
were experimenting with thoughts, ideas and actions. Where one of them
faltered, the others rushed to give support. They were pushing themselves
beyond what they thought were their limits, and they were forcing us to do the
same. We developed a mantra, which would go on to be the credo for all
subsequent participants of Gurukool.
Every
Day in Every way, I am Getting Better and Better
In
the five days, they shared their innermost secrets with each other. They shared
their dreams, their fears, and their joys. They discovered that they were not
alone in their circumstances. And suddenly their issues and problems halved. They
were forming bonds that would hold for times to come.
“Dare
to dream, dare to try, No goal is too distant, no sky is too high”, coached a
young poetess participant to her colleague.
Every
night when the participants had gone to their rooms, the facilitators would
meet to discuss the days’ events. But beyond experiences and feelings, there
was nothing more to talk about. No conversations about the workshop design or
ways of improving it. We were no longer in control. It was as if the
participants had taken over the whole program and were directing its course. As
T4 remarked, “I no longer feel like a facilitator. These people are giving me
much more than I can even think of giving them!”
As
for me, the noble intentions of being just a silent observer just disappeared.
I was participating as much as anyone else. I just had to live the experience.
It was too precious not to do so.
On
the final day, we referred back to the representation of their dreams. During
the five days, some of them had undergone a change. The intention was to
connect their dreams back to the real world. We need not have even tried. They
were two steps ahead of us. They spent rest of the day planning on how they
would go about the task of achieving their dreams in the big bad world!
Between
2006 and 2009, 2200 sales persons went through Gurukool. To make sure that
other development initiatives did not suffer, we created a separate team to
manage the sessions. This team was headed by T8.
The
organizational response was astounding. I would get calls from the managers
asking what magic we were doing. One of the managers sent a mail, “I really
value you. I don’t know what you did in the five days, but I have never seen such
enthusiasm and energy in the team before.”
Another one remarked, “It is always a manager’s dream to get a high
energy and highly motivated team. Well, I have got it but it’s going to a
problem for me. It is going to be a challenge for me to keep up with these
people!”
For
the facilitators, rewards were in the shape of small poems and notes that the
participants wrote during the session. In one of the session, the participants
were watching a movie, ‘Iqbal’. The story is about a deaf and mute boy named
Iqbal who aspires to be a cricketer, and finally does so after a lot of
struggle. At the end of the movie, T8 walked up to one of the participants who
had a dream to become a cricketer and told him, “From today onwards, you are my
Iqbal.” From that day, that boy signs his name and then adds Iqbal in brackets
in all his communications. When somebody asked him the reason, his reply in
Hindi was, “Is naam ke saath mere sapne
bandhe hain aur mein inhe kabh bhulana nahi chahta hun.” (My dreams are
tied to this name and I don’t want to forget them ever in my life)
I
still have the notes that were handed to me during the workshops. Two of them
are very dear to me.
Patthar ki murat sa
Khud ko apne mein liye
Bahar se anjaan“Main” khud mein khoya baitha
Suraj ki abhed kiran bhi
Na chu saki mujhe
Khud se mein anjaan
Mein khoya baitha
Par
Ek muskurahat si awaaz
Ek kiran sa mukhda hai
Saamne aa khada
Baarish ki halki puhaar
Mitti ki bhini si mehak
Jagati hai mujh mein ek vishwass
“Hum” bhi ek jaan hain
Hum bhi ek kiran hain
Ab khud se anjaan nahi mein
Ab mein bhi akela nahi
Translation
A
statue of stone
Keeping
the ‘Me’ in myselfA stranger to the outside
I was lost in myself
Even the piercing rays of the sun
Could not touch me
A stranger to myself
I was lost
But
A voice like a smile
A face like the sun ray
Standing in front of me
Like a drizzle of rain
Like the soft scent of wet soil
Gives me a confidence
‘We’ are also life
‘We’ are also like sun rays
Now no longer a stranger to myself
Now no longer alone
Nirasha ke ghere me asha ki aas liye,
Andhkar ki raat me roshini ki pyaas liye,
Ulaahas purn tum atal vishvas
Khade raho jeevan ke taruvar mein…
Andhkar ki raat me roshini ki pyaas liye,
Ulaahas purn tum atal vishvas
Khade raho jeevan ke taruvar mein…
Translation
With a desire of hope in the circle
of hopelessness
With a thirst for light in the
darkest of nightWith joy and an unshakable faith in your heart
Stand in the waters of life…
Beautiful! Having been part of a similar experience, I understand how the participants felt. It is so important to keep the fires lit, regardless of whether you are a sales person in a company, or are working on a social cause.
ReplyDeleteBang on! And thank you!!
DeleteVery interesting. I found the whole thing from design to the final execution really nice. It was definitely a labour of love. One question though - If it was doing so well then why was it stopped in 2009? - Sanjeev
ReplyDeleteThe company stopped the project in 2009 due to budget constraints. It was supposed to be re-started sometime later. I left the company in 2009, so I really dont know whether Gurukool was started again or not.
DeleteThank you nitin for taking me through the experience once again, it has indeed been my most satisfying work. Proud to be a small part of this amazing journey.
ReplyDeletePrabodh
Thanks Prabod!
Delete"Patthar ki murat sa..." was written by Amit Datta... slim, tall, this young boy from Delhi did not speak a single word for 5 days... one wondered if anything was happening at all, until on the 5th day, he walked up with this poem in hand...
ReplyDeleteGurukool did not change the lives of just the participants... it transformed facilitators too
Yet it did... Like I mentioned, at the end of it all, the participants gave as much to the facilitators as they got... If not more..
DeleteOh My God, Nitin I have goosebumps as I read this. So beautifully written that I felt I was there. I know what you are talking about as I heard about it from Our Boss... Simply Awesome
ReplyDeleteGurukool still lives in the hearts of all the facilitators and the people who have been associated with it...those 5 days used to be really MIRACULOUS, thanks Nitin for taking me through those fond memories which has been truly special to me.
ReplyDeleteDevesh
Thank you Devesh! I believe that when at the end of our careers, we look to find the significant events of our working life, this will surely be at the forefront...
Delete